Blackstock Minor Hockey League Constitution
ARTICLE 1 – Name
This organization shall be known as the “Blackstock Minor Hockey League” and any reference to BMHL in this Constitution and Bylaws, shall mean the Blackstock Minor Hockey League.
ARTICLE 2 – Mission
To support the youth of our community in a positive hockey experience.
ARTICLE 3 – Aims and objectives
1. To foster, promote and teach amateur hockey.
2. To develop, encourage and model sportsmanship, community spirit and good
3. To enable all participants to develop the skills of hockey and to play at a level
appropriate for enjoyment.
4. To promote, organize, and control all team competition in the area of operation to
the maximum of playing accommodation and financial resources.
5. To sponsor and promote such athletic, social and other activities as may contribute
to the finances of the organization
ARTICLE 4 – Authority
The authority to govern the BMHL shall be invested in the Executive Board.
ARTICLE 5 – Executive Board
1. The Executive Board shall be comprised of:
b) PAST PRESIDENT
c) 1st VICE-PRESIDENT
d) 2nd VICE-PRESIDENT
2. And the Elected Directors of (with Portfolio):
c) BUSINESS MANAGER
d) HEAD REFEREE
ARTICLE 6 – Executive Committee
1. The Executive Committee of the BMHL shall consist of the following officers:
b) 1ST VICE-PRESIDENT
c) 2nd VICE-PRESIDENT
g) IMMEDIATE PAST PRESIDENT
h) and all Elected Directors
2. The executive officers of the BMHL shall be elected annually by the general
3. The Executive Board of the Association shall have the authority to appoint
replacements to the executive committee.
4. The executive board shall have the authority to assign directorships to elected board
members as required.
ARTICLE 7 – Duties of the Executive Board
1. The PRESIDENT shall conduct all meetings and have a vote only if necessary to cast a deciding vote. He/She shall perform the duties usual to the office, such as co-signing all cheques and calling meetings of the Association. The president must call a meeting at the request of four members of the Executive Board.
2. The 1st and 2nd VICE-PRESIDENT Shall be the senior officers of the Executive Board next to the President and shall preside at all meetings in the President’s absence. Shall have other duties as prescribed.
3. The TREASURER shall record all finances and have co-signing authority. He/She shall give a written financial report at each meeting for approval. He/She shall deposit and maintain all funds in the official BMHL account.
4. The SECRETARY shall record all minutes of all duly constituted meetings of the association, handle all correspondence and filing pertaining to business of the association, and provide notification of meetings. Duties also include the responsibility to post minutes of the previous meeting on the BMHL information boards at the arena.
5. The REGISTRAR shall be responsible for all activities associated with player registration in the BMHL including:
a) organizing registration sessions
b) remitting funds to the Treasurer, with a summary
c) registering players throughout the season
7. The PAST-PRESIDENT shall act in an advisory capacity and shall carry out duties
as assigned by the President or Executive Committee.
ARTICLE 8 – Directorships
The following shall comprise the Directorships of the Association:
1. HEAD REFEREE shall be responsible for:
a) The provision of qualifies referees for designated hockey games under the jurisdiction of the BMHL
b) ensuring that the rules of the game are followed
c) be responsible for coordinating all Referees’ clinics
d) maintain accurate records
2. FUND-RAISING DIRECTOR shall be responsible for all fund-raising and related
activities sanctioned by the BMHL with the assistance of a fund-raising committee
3. Banquet Director shall be responsible for banquet
4. BUSINESS MANAGER shall be responsible for all sponsorships
5. STATICIAN shall be responsible for recording of all stats.
ARTICLE 9 – League Structure
The Executive Board shall be responsible for the formation and operation of the BMHL and representative teams of the BMHL.
ARTICLE 10 – Discipline
A Fair Play Committee will be comprised of the PRESIDENT, 1st VICE PRESIDENT, 2nd VICE PRESIDENT, HEAD REFEREE.
ARTICLE 11 – General Membership
For the purposes of electing the EXECUTIVE BOARD, the general membership of the association shall include parents or guardians of all registered players, team officials and elected Executive Officers and Directors from the previous year.
ARTICLE 12 – Meetings
1. GENERAL MEETINGS
General meetings shall be held at a minimum every 8 weeks during the period August through April, with additional meetings as determined by the President
2. EXECUTIVE MEETINGS
Executive Board meetings shall be held as deemed necessary by the President
3. ANNUAL GENERAL MEETINGS
Annual General Meetings of the general membership shall be held no later than May 31, at which time the following business may be conducted:
a) PRESIDENT’S REPORT
b) TREASURER’S REPORT
c) CONSTITUTION AMENDMENTS
d) BY-LAW AMENDMENTS
e) ELECTION OF EXECUTIVE OFFICERS AND DIRECTORS
ARTICLE 13 – Voting
Each member of the Executive Board and each director shall have a single vote with the exception of the President who shall vote only in the case of a tie. All votes shall be shown by the raising of a hand.
ARTICLE 14 – Quorum
The quorum for conducting the business of the Executive Board shall be set at a simple majority of the Executive Board plus Directors in attendance.
ARTICLE 15 – Election of Executive Committee & Directors
a) The election of the Executive Officers and Directors shall be held at the Annual General Meeting. Such elections shall be conducted in the recognized way with voting by secret ballot unless a unanimous open vote is agreed to. A simple majority vote will carry.
b) The Chairperson of the election shall be an appointee not running for election and will cast the deciding vote in the case of a tie.
c) The General Meeting shall require a quorum of members before the meeting can be convened.
d) Nominations for Executive Officers and Directors may be made at the time of the
Election from the floor or may be received in writing prior to the Annual General Meeting.
e) Notice of the Annual General Meeting MUST POSTED IN THE ARENA, A MINIMUM OF 30 DAYS IN ADVANCE OF THE MEETING DATE.
ARTICLE 16 – Amendments to the Constitution
Motions to amendment to the Constitution will be considered at any General Meeting or the Annual General Meeting. A 2/3rd majority vote of the attending members is required. A notice of change to the Constitution by any member MUST BE FORWARDED to the Secretary at LEAST 12 DAYS PRIOR TO THE ANNUAL OR GENERAL MEETING when such change shall be considered.
ARTICLE 17 – Amendments to the bylaws
The bylaws may be changed at any General Meeting or Annual General Meeting. A simple majority of the Executive Board plus Directors in attendance is required. A notice of changes in the Bylaws MUST be forwarded to the Secretary at least 30 days prior to the General Meeting or Annual General Meeting when such changes will be considered.
ARTICLE 19 – Financial Reports
The BMHL TREASURER shall maintain the Cheque register and Cash Receipt Journal. These journals shall be maintained on a current basis and balanced monthly. These Journals SHALL be a consistent format for the financial reporting and be followed from year to year.